Internet guide to St. Petersburg, the cultural capital of Russia Internet Explorer: add to favorites 
St. Petersburg guide / Home page
 News | Events | Playbill | City | Tourism | Accommodation | Business
 Culture | Dine & Wine | Nightlife | Family | Health & Sports | Excursions
Services | Shopping | Classifieds | Forums | Map | Weather | Articles

Personal live guide to PetersburgVisa support for your tripsBusiness in St. Petersburg
 in St.Petersburg: December 17, 2017; 3:52pm (GMT+4). Search:
 Business news All business news in St. Petersburg 
Warning: current() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home/webs/city.air.spb.ru/system/advert.robo on line 24
News at PetersburgCity.com
City news
Business news
Culture news
Anniversary news

Warning: current() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home/webs/city.air.spb.ru/system/advert.robo on line 24
Business news
Foster Partnership Wins St. Petersburg Development Contract
02.26.2006 14:49

architecture_foster_and_partners The St. Petersburg city government chose Foster & Partners, the U.K. architectural firm headed by Norman Foster, to reconstruct New Holland Island, an abandoned czarist-era navy complex.

Foster's design was commissioned by ST Novaya Gollandiya, a subsidiary of ST Group, the real-estate development company owned by Shalva Chigirinsky, a Moscow oilman and real-estate developer. The company has promised to invest $320 million to turn the site into a cultural and commercial center.

``We aim to help St. Petersburg to exploit the extraordinary legacy of its urban structure and historic buildings and to establish an arts quarter that will reinvigorate the city and consolidate St. Petersburg's position as an international tourist destination,'' Foster said in a statement.

New Holland was built by Peter the Great in the early 18th century as a complex of warehouses for shipbuilding materials used in the adjacent Admiralty shipyards. It was extended over the next 200 years. Most of the current structures date to the end of the 18th and 19th centuries, and are state-protected landmarks.

The triangle-shaped island is surrounded by canals, and money will have to be spent to reinforce the decrepit and damp foundations of the czarist-era warehouses. According to Russia's preservation laws, the historical status of the site means the developer can't significantly alter its appearance.

Restaurants, Theater

The Russian navy signed over ownership to the city in late 2004. Foster's plans call for outfitting the site with a hotel, shops, private apartments, restaurants, a theater and conference halls. The crown jewel will be a covered amphitheater that will seat as many as 3,000 people.

Foster and ST Novaya Gollandiya beat two Russian competitors: NHI Group, and Stroi Holding. Construction is expected to take four years, said the project's press secretary, Svetlana Antonova. ST Novaya Gollandiya and its partners will invest 30 percent of the total amount, while the remaining 70 percent will be financed through loans.

News source: www.bloomberg.com
Print this news


Business news archive for 26 February' 2006.
Business news archive for February' 2006.
Business news archive for 2006 year.
City news archive
February' 2006
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728    
       
Archive for 2006 year


 News | Events | Playbill | City | Tourism | Accommodation | Business
 Culture | Dine & Wine | Nightlife | Family | Health & Sports | Excursions
Services | Shopping | Classifieds | Forums | Map | Weather | Articles

Site Map | Search | Help/feedback | About | Advertise with us

Contacts: info@petersburgcity.com

(c) 2001-2016 "Information Resources" Agency