Russia - Eight decades after being closed down by Soviet authorities, an Estonian Lutheran church has reopened in the Russian city of St. Petersburg.
Sunday's reopening and consecration of St. John's Church was attended by Estonian President Toomas Hendrink Ilves and other government figures.
The red-brick church was shut in 1930 under the Soviet Union's policy of official atheism, and its interior was stripped. It was returned to the Estonian parish in 1997, but required years of restoration work.
News source: Winnipeg Free Press
Print this news
City news archive for 22 February' 2011.
City news archive for February' 2011.
City news archive for 2011 year.