About 10,000 spectators came to Palace Square 9 may, Tuesday, where units of the St Petersburg military garrison had a parade on the occasion of 61st anniversary of victory on the European theater of World War II.
The Guards of Honor of the garrison carried through the square a total of thirty banners of Soviet Army units that fought for Leningrad (St Petersburg's name from 1924 through 1991) in the tragic days of the Nazi siege.
Active-duty conscript soldiers and officers of military bases reporting to the garrison, lecturers and cadets of Army and Navy universities, border guards and military musicians marched in parade squads past the Alexander Column, which is located in the center of this magnificent square.
The site chosen for the parade is not accidental, since the column and the square itself have been symbols of Russia Army's power and achievements since the first half of the 19th century.
More than 4,000 soldiers, officers and cadets took part in the march-past, observed from spectator stands by city Governor Valentina Matviyenko, commanders of the Leningrad Military District and Leningrad Naval Base, numerous veterans of World War II and honorary citizens of the city, which lived through the 900 days of an excruciating Siege from early fall 1941 through to January 1944.
The march-past was followed by a performance of Leningrad Military District's dance group, brass bands and Spetsnaz soldiers, who presented a show in martial arts.
News source: ITAR-TASS
Print this news
City news archive for 11 May' 2006.
City news archive for May' 2006.
City news archive for 2006 year.